The Children’s Museum of Houston will host Sensory Friendly Day on Monday, April 6, in honor of National Autism Awareness Month. Sensory Friendly Day is an opportunity for kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders and sensory processing differences to explore the Museum. This exclusive event, held from 10 am to 2pm, will provide a comfortable, protected and accepting environment, allow parents to make connections with other families, and offer new tools and resources. There will be no music and sound reducing headphones will be available. Outside food and drinks will be allowed (Fresh Café will be closed).
• Music Therapy Activities: Move and groove to therapeutic music in Tree Top Discovery Room. Sign up at the Information Booth.
• Obstacle Course: Test your bilateral coordination and balance as you race through our fun and challenging obstacle course in PowerPlay.
• Hands-on Specialists: Learn more about your child’s development as they engage in fun sensory activities with our Board Certified Speech Pathologists and Behavior Analysts.
• Color Blast Wheel: Create a color wheel to learn the science of seeing colors at Junktion.
• Beat of Your Own Balloon Drum: March to the beat of your own balloon drum at Junktion.
• Snuggly Bear: Design your own fuzzy friend at Junktion.
• Count and Pop: Pop till you drop while playing this fun game at Exxon Mobil Math Cart.
• Dog Whistles: Experiment with pitch by making your own whistle at Science Station.
• Rainbow Paper: Separate and see the beautiful colors light produces at Science Station.
• Smell Cups: Put your nose to the test and identify different smells at Science Station.
• Sink or Float: Build a boat and find out how long will keep afloat at Inventors’ Workshop.
• Are you my bat baby?: Match bat babies to their mothers using your sense of smell at EcoStation.
• Bat Origami: Create a beautiful bat origami by using your tactile senses at EcoStation.
• Bubble Painting: Create your own bubbly work of art at Alexander Art Academy.
Special Sensory Friendly Day Admission: $5 per person. Children under one and Museum Members receive free admission. Pre-registration required. Please contact Lydia Dungus at email@example.com or call (713) 535-7238 to make a reservation.
For more information, visit www.cmhouston.org or call (713) 522-1138.